George Carlin said “Don’t just teach your children to read, teach them to question what they read, teach them to question everything”. This is a powerful statement which rings true to the philosophy advocated at TheSGEM. We always want you to be skeptical/critical of everything you learn, even if you learned it on TheSGEM.
Here are some book titles from TheSGEM Book Club. These are recommended for people interested in critical and skeptical thinking. For a full list of books check out the ADDITIONAL RESOURCES tab at the top menu.
- Mistakes Were Made (but not by me) – Carol Tavis and Elliot Aronson
- Ignorance: How it drives science – Stuart Firestein
- The Great Cholesterol Con – Malcom Kendrick
- The Emperor’s New Drugs: Exploding the antidepressant myth – Irving Kirsch
- Overtreated: Why too much medicine is making us sicker and poorer – Shannon Brownlee
- Over-Diagnosed: Makling people sick in the pursuit of health – Go;bert Welch
- The Creative Destruction of Medicine – Eric Topol
- 50 Popular Beliefs that People Think are True – Guy P. Harrison
Have you read a book you really thought was great? If you want to share it with TheSGEM audience please send me and email at TheSGEM@gmail.com. I will take a look and see about posting it on the site.